Chen, Liu 陳騮
Above-Scale Professor (Emeritus) and Research Professor
Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of California, Irvine
- 1981, Fellow, American Physical Society
- 2004, John Dawson Award for Excellence in Plasma Physics Research, from the American Physical Society
- 2008, Hannes Alfvén Prize, from the European Physical Society
- 2009, Fellow, American Association for Advancement of Sciences
- 2011, Fellow, American Geophysical Union
- 2012, James Clerk Maxwell Prize for Plasma Physics, from the American Physical Society
- 2019, Subrahmanyan Chandresekhar Prize, from the Association of Asia Pacific Physical Societies
- 2022, Academician, Academia Sinica
- 2023, Yushan Fellow, Ministry of Education, R.O.C
Current Research Interests
Theoretical Plasma Physics.
1. A Theory of Long Period Magnetic Pulsations, 1. Steady State Excitation of Field Line Resonance, L. Chen and A. Hasegawa, J. Geophys Res. 79, 1024-1032 (March 1974)
2. Kinetic Theory of Geomagnetic Pulsations, 1. Internal Excitations by Energetic Particles, L. Chen and A. Hasegawa, J. Geophys, Res. 96, 1503-1512 (February 1991).
3. Plasma Heating by Spatial Resonance of Alfv√©n Wave, L. Chen and A. Hasegawa, Phys. Fluids 17, 1399-1403 (July 1974).
4. Kinetic Process of Plasma Heating Due to Alfv√©n Wave Excitation. A. Hasegawa and L. Chen, Phys. Rev. Lett. 35, 370-373 (August 1975).
5. Kinetic Processes in Plasma Heating by Resonant Mode Conversion of Alfv√©n Wave, A. Hasegawa and L. Chen, Phys. Fluids 19, 191924-1934 (December 1976).
6.Nonlinear Gyrokinetic Equations for Low-Frequency Electromagnetic Waves in General Plasma Equilibrium, E. A. Frieman and L. Chen, Phys. Fluids 25, 502-508 (March 1982).
7.High-n Ideal and Resistive Shear Alfven Waves in Tokamaks, C. Z. Cheng, L. Chen, and M. S. Chance, Ann. Phys. 161, 21-47 (1985).
8.Excitation of Internal Kink Modes by Trapped Energetic Beam Ions, L. Chen, R. B. White, and M. N. Rosenbluth, Phys. Rev. Lett. 52, 1122-1125 (March 1984).
9. Excitation of Zonal Flow by Drift Waves in Toroidal Plasmas, L. Chen, Z. Lin, and R. White, Phys. Of Plasmas 7(8), 3129 (2000).
10.Physics of Alfvén Waves and Energetic Particles in Burning Plasmas, L. Chen and F. Zonca, Review of Modern Physics，March 2016.
Book- “Waves and Instabilities in Plasmas” (World Scientific Publication Co, 1987)